Pages

09 October 2013

Zero Plus Zero - In Box Review (Airfix & Tamiya)

When it comes to Second World War aircraft I have to confess the aircraft of Japan are ones that I've tended to overlook. With that in mind I decided to make up for it by taking a look at a couple of Japanese Navy aircraft kits of the legendary Zero.

The Zero is a popular choice with Asian model companies, Hasegawa, Fine Molds and Tamiya have released numerous kits over many years. However they seem to be less popular with western companies, I can only dream of an Eduard Profipack version! It was a newer 1:72 scale release from Airfix that first prompted me to take a look at the Zero and soon after I followed that purchase with another, the Tamiya 1:72 version. Before purchasing I also inspected those of Academy and Hasegawa but decided what I had was the best in their respective price ranges.


The Airfix kit that I'm going to take a look at is the A6M2b version, the Tamiya kit is the later A6M5 variant. While Tamiya have also released an A6M2b (the next kit they released after the A6M5) I elected not to purchase this one as I wanted to build different versions. I did however inspect both Tamiya kits before purchase and found them to exactly the same in terms of quality.

These kits are at opposite ends of the price scale, so how do they compare?


Airfix Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero (A01005)

This Airfix 1:72 scale kit is one of their more recent new toolings. It's available in two versions, this standard kit and a starter kit with paints. The two kits offer different colour schemes, this one a Mitsubishi Green scheme from later in the war, the starter kit a white colour scheme from the time of the Pearl Harbour raid.

As is case with Airfix's series one kits you only get the one colour scheme, not too much of an issue as you can only make the one aircraft anyway. Decals in these new kits are by Cartograf and if they're like any of the other newer Airfix kits they should be just fine.

Upon opening the box I there ares three sprues of grey plastic and one clear canopy. The parts look well moulded and fairly detailed. The panel lines are a bit heavy but despite this it's a vast improvement on Airfix's older kits. There's even detail on the cockpit walls, although I'm not sure how much will be visible once you attach the single piece (closed) canopy. As with most Airfix kits you also get a pilot should you wish use him, personally I think it's always nice to be given the choice!
Manufacturer's finished product shot
I have to say I'm quite impressed at this kit, opening it and inspecting the parts really gave me a feeling of "I want to build this kit." While there are more detailed kits available it doesn't automatically mean this kit isn't worth your time. Far from it, this is decent little kit, even more so when you consider it's more detailed rivals are more than twice the price. Compare it to it's nearest rival at a similar price bracket, Academy's kit and the Airfix kit is streets ahead.

Tamiya Mitsubishi A6M5 Zero - Zeke (60779)

I think Tamiya can probably be considered the "King" of Zero kits, so it's probably not dificult to guess the direction this review is going to go. Tamiya have been releasing Zeros in 1:48 scale since my childhood (and before) and in 2008 they started refreshing the range. A new 1:32 scale release followed before we finally got a 1:72 scale version.

So what do you get? Two sprues of very nicely detailed grey plastic, a couple of polycaps for the spinner, clear parts for either an open or closed canopy and a nice little fact sheet about the Zero as well as the instruction booklet. Just looking the sprues I was blown away by the detail, I even had to remind myself this was a 1:72 scale kit! No pilot though I'm afraid, but Tamiya never have offered them at this scale which I've always felt is a shame.

The kit offers schemes for three aircraft, all in Mitsubishi Green. Decals appear to be as good as those in the Airfix kit but of course I'll only be able to confirm that after applying them.

Manufacturer's finished product shot
This is clearly a more detailed and more polished kit than Airfix's offering. However it should be, at three times the price you expect that. A more reasonable comparison would be with a more expensive Hasegawa kit and here the Tamiya offering still comes out on top.

So which to buy?

If you had to choose one I think it would come down to price alone. The Airfix kit is exceptional value and in the sub-£10 price bracket you need not look elsewhere. The Tamiya kit retails at around the £20 mark and is simply the best kit there is in this scale, if you want to pay that much.

If money's no object, (and you're not buying them to review), then I recommend you buy them both!

Airfix A6M2b Zero - Overall In Box Score: Promising. Excellent value, Airfix can be really proud of this release.

Tamiya A6M5 Zero - Overall In Box Score: Outstanding. I have no words left to say how good this kit looks!

In the coming months I'd certainly like to try build these kits and see if I still stand by these scores. When I do I'll update this post with a link to a build post(s).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment