Pages

13 April 2014

What's On The Workbench? #1

What's on the workbench?

Due the (chaotic) way I approach my modelling it means that I'm usually working on numerous things and completing only a few of them. Of course they're the ones this blog tends to focus on and the others, they get left behind. This means that as far as the blog has been concerned it sometimes appears that I'm doing nothing at times!

With that in mind I've decided to take a look at some of currently in-progress models that I'm working on and maybe this'll be a more regular feature of this blog.

First up is a purchase from last week's Shropshire scale model show, Tamiya's 1:100 scale MiG-21.


I been a bit undecided about this range since building the MiG-17, however I saw several of these kits for sale at £3 each and thought I'd have another try. So far I have to say the MiG-21 looks a better kit than the MiG-17. The main purpose of this build will be, at a later date, practising shading and weathering a model with a metallic finish.

Next is Tamiya's 1:48 Citroen 11CV, a classic car of the WWII era.


I've been thinking of branching out in quarter scale vehicles for a while but wasn't good enough with an airbrush to paint them. I'd picked this kit up from a local model shop's closing down sale many months ago and stashed it away since then. Rather than going full on into tank building I thought this would be a good starting point for me to familiarise myself with vehicles in this scale, with the added bonus of already enjoying figure painting at this scale.

As to be expected it's the usual level of detail I've come to expect from Tamiya. I hope I can do it some justice when it comes to painting it, my growing confidence when using an airbrush means that this is certainly more likely than it was when I first bought this kit!

Finally, a base. I really like seeing models on display bases and so thought I'd try creating an airfield base. I've used one Trumpeters display cases in this case.


I've added very fine sand onto a layer of PVA glue and now I'm waiting a few days for it to dry before attempting to add a coat of paint to seal it (and then finally drybrushing it). The PSP plates are from Brengun (1:72 scale) and hopefully they'll figure somewhere in the display.

So that's what's on my workbench! Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment