Pages

10 June 2013

Dornier Do 17 Raised From the English Channel

Over the last few days I've been following this story in the news. The Royal Airforce Museum have been trying to raise from the English Channel what is believed too be the only surviving Dornier Do 17.

Despite being delayed by the weather over the past few days, today they finally managed to raise the aircraft. The BBC has an interesting article here and you can find photos at the Royal Airforce Museum's facebook page.

It's had me thinking about models. A Dornier "flying pencil" is something I've always wanted to build however good kits are hard to find. I had looked at the Revell kit but it's nearly as old as the one raised today and ICM's range of kits are almost as difficult to put together as the real thing. Apart from that I can only think of Classic Airframes kit but they're increasingly rare these days.

As a modeller I can only hope a manufacturer releases a new one sooner rather than later. For now I'll be following the restoration of the one found today, a 1:1 scale kit for those restoring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment