Pages

12 November 2013

Kickstarter: Many Ways To Spend My Money - November 2013

I've recently been spending a bit of time searching Kickstarter for a miniatures or gaming project and thought I'd share a few finds.

In my experience when looking at in the games category there tends to be a mix of smaller companies and indie projects and then there's the established companies who are using the platform to generate pre-sales for a project they would have done anyway. While there's nothing wrong with this I want to focus on those smaller companies and their projects.

First up is Journey: Wrath of Demons a first time game by a Hong Kong based company, Marrow Production. Now I have to admit the subject area isn't something I'd normally go for but seeing the resin miniatures they had to offer certainly got my attention.


It appears that these miniatures will be 1:35 scale and the resin models will feature in the higher funding options, they really do look good! However in the standard game option the miniatures will be plastic although Marrow Production did post that they would be similar in quality to models produced by Dragon, who will be familiar to the military modellers amongst you. I don't know if that means they have an arrangement with Dragon or not, but it certainly sounds promising.

Next up is Aliens vs Predator, the Miniatures Game  by the English company Prodos Games. What can I say, Aliens, Predators, Colonial Marines, in resin. Who could say "no" to that?


They're 28mm scale models and as with the previous project, they look outstanding. For the purpose of this Kickstarter the figures will be polyurethane resin before switching to plastic for general release. However this Kickstarter seems to have had a shaky start. Numerous complaints about being overpriced, too little in the box, all stretch goals being paid for add-ons and so on. But I have to say, £75 for (at the time of writing) for 20+ aliens of various sizes, 3 predators, 5 Colonial Marines, all in resin would seem like a good deal for figures alone!

So which to choose? I've been going back and forth between the two, the one thing I do know, my model budget is only going to allow for one.

If I want a complete product, both miniatures and game then it's probably going to be Journey: Wrath of Demons. Marrow Production have a done a fantastic job of showcasing both the game and the miniatures in such a way that I want to play it. I want to learn more about the setting and experience a game that I wouldn't have normally considered.

Prodos, sadly, haven't yet showcased their game system (although they say they will soon) and so I can't say it feels like anything more than a collection of miniatures. But what miniatures they are! As an Aliens fan I've been waiting a long time for figures like this.

Tough choice...


No comments:

Post a Comment