Pages

26 March 2016

Downsizing My Stash - How Much Is Too Much?


Outside of my hobby life I've recently been doing through a re-evaluation of my consumption with the aim of being more mindful when it comes to purchases I make. Of course the elephant in the room is my hobby stash and the way I go about purchasing models.

Having a stash of models is part and parcel of the hobby, but how much is too much and is it really necessary? I can honestly say every model I've bought I have done so with the intention of building it. I'm not a box collector, but I have unintentionally become one, and so I have a large number of models stored away and very little idea of how much I've spent over the years.

In my case so many models is becoming quite a burden, there's a feeling I'll never get them done. So much so that for the past few months I've found it really hard to focus on anything model related. Of course at the same time when it comes to thinking about downsizing I feel I've invested a certain amount of my heart and soul into them. They are all projects I researched and once intended to build, and so it makes it quite difficult to part with them.

On the miniatures side I have managed to accumulate a number of rare models, at no cost to myself, that are no longer available for purchase unless I pay over the odds on eBay. Generally speaking these models will remain for now as it would not make sense to sell and then realise I want to paint them. Of course I will periodically reassess them and I may at some point move them on.

So, starting from April the 1st, until the end of the year, I'm going to keep a record of every single hobby item I buy and how much I spend. I'm also going to record the kits I sell or give away during the year. However I don't want to put a price against them because I don't want sold kits, and their value, to be used as justification for unnecessary purchases purely on the  the basis that I can afford them.

So the intention is that going forward this will help me focus, make sure I get better utility out of the items I already own, and save me from making more unnecessary purchases. If I feel little less overwhelmed then hopefully this blog will be seeing an increase in hobby related project posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment