Pages

17 May 2013

About My Reviews


Over the years I've accumulated many models and now I've returned to the hobby I continue to buy more. And more. My past experience is that some get built, some get binned (some get binned and then taken out of the bin and given the second chance), some are a pleasure to build and others seem like a curse.  One of purposes of this blog is to share my experiences of models that I buy and those I already own through reviews; after all in this day and age many of us like to check out the internet before we buy.

To start with I’m going to say all my reviews are going to be independent. For dependent ones please check out the adverts of various companies! All kits are going to be reviewed and compared to what is available to hobbyists today and with the view that the kit is meant to be built.There will be a mix of in-box and build reviews, the review title will let you know which is which.

Next is the issue of accuracy. I’m not going to get out the slide rule and a set of authentic plans and begin counting rivets when it comes to aircraft and vehicles. We’re fortunate enough to have the choice these days between how detailed we want our models to be. I appreciate some of us want simple fun builds, others want super detailed models that pass as the real thing. With this in mind I’ll take the view that a kit is a foundation on which a modelling project can be built.

Now I'm guessing you would like to know how exactly I am going to rate the kits? To make it easy for everyone, every kit will be rated from 0 ( meaning "why did anyone even bother to produce this one?") to 5 (5 being the highest) and will be based on the following:

  • Build – The ease with which a kit can be built and how well it fits, how good are the instructions. Basically, less filler equals a higher score. 
  • Detail & accuracy – Is it an accurate representation of what it's meant to be? Does it give you different build options?
  • Decals – Again the ease with which the decals can be applied (not all kits have decals so obviously this applies only to those that do). 
So with all that in mind, I’m sure you’re all looking forward to our first review which will follow this post soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment