Pages

26 August 2013

Completed Review – Tamiya MiG 19 (61609)

Scale: 1:72, RRP - £3.99

A quick review of a quick build, Tamiya's 1:100 scale MiG-19 Farmer.

The 1:100 scale was introduced many years ago as a competitor to the well established 1:72 scale. However it never really took off and remains largely forgotten. Outside of Tamiya's small range no other models really come to my mind.

I was only reminded of this scale when I typed an incorrect search into eBay and found this particular kit for sale at 99p. So a few 99p bids later and I had myself a MiG-19, a B.A.C Lightning and an A-7A Corsair II all in this scale. All of these kits date from about 10 years ago when Tamiya re-released the range. Some of the originals, I believe, date back to the 1970's.


I decided to start with the MiG-19, continuing from my previous build a MiG-15. As you'd expect, the kit is simple, there are only 3 steps in the instructions and this particular kit can be completed with only 3 colours. There are options for 3 aircraft, 1 Soviet, 1 East German, 1 Cuban however they're all the same bare metal silver finish with a different set of decals for each one.

Despite the small parts count what there is, is good, and provides a reasonable little model straight out of the box. My main criticism of this kit was the way the missiles are attached to the wing as they were extremely awkward to attach given their size.


I decided to do my MiG in Cuban colours, I've applied many red star decals in recent weeks so felt it was time for a change! Overall it was nice relaxed build (forgetting the missiles...) and I'm certainly going to do more 1:100 scale aircraft in the future.

Overall Build Score: 2 out of 5, a fun but awkward build. Slightly lacking in detail as to be expected given the scale and age of the kit.



No comments:

Post a Comment