Pages

13 January 2017

Looking Ahead: The Aircraft Wish List For 2017

Around this time of year you will no doubt be seeing plenty of "New Year Resolution" posts, this post is one and at the same time isn't one of those type of posts.

After last year in which I completed just one kit and suffered a significant loss of motivation I've taken some time to reflect on what I want to achieve this year and come up with an "ideal" world list (actually, it's 3 lists) which I'm hoping will give me a sense of direction but not be so strict as to become too much of a chore to complete.

I've decided to break down the builds into 3 categories, ideally if I can complete one build from each to a reasonably high (for me) standard then I'll consider 2017 a success. Realistically I need to tackle some of the kits I currently own before buying new ones, so some of listed won't become an option until I complete others.

Category 1: Out of the box builds

My, as of yet incomplete, Typhoon build showed me that I don't have to buy photo-etch and resin extras to actually have a build that is both enjoyable while providing a sense of achievement and progress at the same time.

We're very fortunate that these days we have a good choice when it comes to out of the box builds. As I want to build these models in flight, to keep things straight forward as possible, the Airfix range is ideal as they always seem to give you the option of both, something I wish all manufacturers would do.

  • Airfix 1:72 Spitfire Mk.I/IIa (Owned)
  • Airfix 1:72 Bf 109E-7/Trop (Owned)
  • Airifx 1:72 Hurricane Mk.I (New Purchase)
  • Airifx 1:72 P-51D Mustang (New Purchase)

Airfix 1:72 Spitfire Mk.I/IIa

Airfix 1:72 Bf 109E-7/Trop
Airifx 1:72 Hurricane Mk.I
Airifx 1:72 P-51D Mustang

Category 2: Detailed Builds

The next level of build involves a bit more detail, here I want to more work on the cockpit, either resin replacement work or photo-etch enhancement, or both. In such cases the canopy will be open so the aircraft will be modelled as it were on the ground and I will also consider building a display base.

  • Eduard 1:72 Spitfire Mk.IXc (Owned)
Eduard 1:72 Spitfire Mk.IXc

There's only one aircraft in this list, however I own more than one of these kits so I could, if I excel myself, possibly build more than one of the same aircraft.

Category 3: Conversion builds

The final category is the most involved and challenging as it goes beyond the standard detailing and requires conversion work such as resin engines, super detailed interiors and so on. The kits I have in mind are:

  • Tamiya Mosquito FB Mk.VI (Owned)
  • Tamiya P-47D Thunderbolt converted to a P-47M (New Purchase)

Tamiya Mosquito FB Mk.VITamiya P-47D Thunderbolt

As I've said this is an an "ideal" world list but I think it will be useful to look back after a year and see if this list helped me focus. Of course I won't just be building aircraft so there will still be builds that aren't on this list, and hopefully some miniature painting as well.

Time to get 2017 started then!

No comments:

Post a Comment